Sunday, October 4, 2009

Regarding the Sink

I volunteer at the local library to get my graduation service hours done. It's a crap job with crap pay ($0) and the head librarian hates my guts. I've had to deal with old ladies who get angry when you don't have a copy of the King James Bible right on hand (what do I look like? The Bookmobile?), people who want "dog books" without telling me exactly what they need, and crazy little kids who try to take books off of the holds cart. It's enough to make a person want to jump off the roof of the library, cart-o-books in hand. But occasionally, something really cool will happen. Once, it was finding a $20 bill tucked inside an old encyclopedia. And yesterday, I found a book. Well, that much should be obvious. I mean, I am in a damn library after all. But this was a book I had no idea existed until yesterday. It is the sequel to the book I must have read upwards of a hundred times as a child. That book was called Regarding the Fountain.

The sequel to that book is called Regarding the Sink. These books are chapter books written in letters and emails. The storyline is that there is a famous fountain designer who gets commissioned to make a new water fountain for a middle school in this small town. Things get out of hand when the students discover that the reason their water is not working well is because there is this big conspiracy involving two of the town's most powerful business people. With the help of the fountain designer, they catch the criminals and get the world's most epic water fountain (the damn thing has an ice rink, spa, soda fountain... it's not yer ordinary water fountain). The second book is about a bad sink clog that got stopped up. The fountain designer is contacted again to design a new one, but she doesn't respond, and there's a senator that slashed the state school funding by 90%. I don't really know what happens next since I'm really not that far in the book. They are meant for elementary to early middle school students, but you know what? I don't really care. I was so happy to find a sequel to a book I loved as a kid that I checked it out after my shift was over. The librarian (the one that hates me) gave me a really weird look when she saw what I was checking out. I guess she thought I was a creeper or something... oh well. She's a bitchy librarian with nothing better to do than glare at people using computers and harass teenagers. Thereby her argument is invalid, and she can't pass judgement on who's a creeper and who's not.

No comments:

Post a Comment