Sunday, November 29, 2009

J-Drama Review: Princess Princess D

I have to admit, when I first started watching this series, I didn't have high hopes. I had read the manga it was based off of, and while I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was the best thing I'd ever read, or the epitome of manga or anything like that. It was a mildly entertaining story about guys at a really whack school that forces them to dress like women. How could you transfer that over into a good television series? But I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. I was drawn into the story much more than I had expected. Unlike the manga, this drama had a r storyline.

Yes, the school is still whack and forces select students to dress like women. But, there are different characters, all in all making things very interesting. There's the transfer student out to take over the whole school, making use of OTHER guys dressing like girls. In order to stop him, the student council president calls a friend of his from out of the country to stop the insurgents. What he didn't plan on was the friend abruptly switching sides. He wins the student council election (a development that I must admit came out of absolutely fucking nowhere), and the school starts to be run like a military dictatorship. I just had to ask- what the hell happened to the school staff? You'd think there'd be at least one teacher in the place, but you never see a single person that isn't a student, or a student's henchman.

Is it great art? No. Would it win an Emmy? No. Is it worth your time? Well, depends on your point of view. If you're looking for a not-too-difficult to follow story with some nice messages about friendship and pretty boys to look at, then yes. If you're looking for a show with girls in it, then no (there's not a single female character, unless you count the boys dressed like girls).

The Lazy Score: 7.5/10

By the way, Christmas season is coming! My neighbors already have their Christmas lights up! Due to a mishap at Chez Lazy we can't find the box of lights, so decorating is going to take another week or so. But I can decorate my blog! Paranoia Room got decked out for the holidays thanks to Cutest Blog on the Block! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment