Friday, December 11, 2009

Atheists and the WAR ON CHRISTMAS!

Every year, if you scan through the radio channels, you're liable to come across some right-wing fundamentalist Christian screaming about atheists out to destroy Christmas. If you listen to them, you'd think that every single non-religious person is Scrooge on steroids. They hate Christmas. They hate Christmas presents. They hate Christmas trees. They hate Christmas snacks. They hate Christmas carols. They hate Christmas specials. Oh, and they hate puppies and kittens too.

I have one thing to say in response to that: LOLWUT? I love Christmas! I love presents- giving them and getting them. I love Christmas decorations- so pretty. I love Christmas snacks- probably a bit too much. I like the Christmas television specials (Mickey's Christmas Carol is my favorite). I love Christmas carols- in fact, one of my favorites is God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. Yeah, a religious song.

Christmas is a special time for a lot of people, no matter what their religion/lack of religion. Many non-Christians celebrate the holiday (I can think of at least eight off the top of my head). The fact of the matter is that people love holidays. I'm not picky about my holiday-celebration. I go to my friend's annual Eid party. Her mom makes the most delicious kebabs. We exchange Eid presents. Another friend (who is currently attending university) usually has a Diwali party (not this year, due to her being at uni and all). I've attended a Passover seder. Another friend's mother is pagan, and always makes delicious snacks and thoughtful gifts for everyone at the Winter Solstice. And yes, I realize that I sound like a fatass by saying all of this, but hey, isn't that what holidays are all about?

Holidays are for spending time with friends. Holidays are for nomming on whatever comes your way. Holidays are for exchanging presents. Most importantly, holidays are for having fun. So let's all remove the forests we've got stuck up our derrieres and just enjoy the season, no matter what religion you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment