Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Christmas Tree

Today my family decorated our Christmas tree. As usual, it was complete pandemonium. Our tree is several years old (five or six, I think), and it came pre-lit. When the tree was new, that was wonderful. Now that it's older and the lights no longer work perfectly? Not so much. So most of yesterday we spent running around the entire metro area looking for some new LED holiday lights. FINALLY we found some at K-mart, although I'm not really sure how good of quality they are. The K-mart near where I live has a bit of a reputation around here for selling defective goods, but at the moment, they seem to be working OK.

Once we finally managed to get the lights on the tree, it was ornament time. I like Christmas ornaments. I have since I was a little girl. Many of the ornaments I remember from my childhood were destroyed when the basement flooded, but since then we have gained new ornaments. Still, it's not the same. When I was very young, there was an enormous red ball that was studded with fake jewels. Looking back on it now, it was pretty tacky, but I loved that ornament and it had to go on the tree every year no matter what, and it had to go on an important, easily seen place. Unfortunately, that ornament was destroyed during the flood- the cold water shattered it.

Since we lost so many ornaments, my mother has been trying to make up for it by buying new and interesting ornaments every year. We always get White House Christmas ornaments, and if an online store has offers on them, then she buys them.

I've also done most of my shopping, and I will tell you this now: Shopping districts are completely insane this time of year. I think next year, I'm buying everyone's stuff on the Internet, so I don't have to worry about getting run over by angry stay-at-home mothers with their entire tribe in one of those enormous baby strollers that fit 2000000 kids. Also, I have to ask: if you're buying Christmas presents, then why bring the kids with you? Then they'll know what they're getting for Christmas, and half the fun is not knowing! But I digress- this post isn't meant to be a rant.

I just love the holidays- I find this to be one of the least depressing times of year for me. I love Christmas lights, I love Christmas decorations, I love Christmas presents, I love Christmas snacks, I love the Christmas holidays from school- I just love Christmas! I can't wait- two weeks from Friday! I hope I get the stuff I asked for. And I hope my family likes their presents, although I think they might know what they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment